MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
ANNIE PORTER AINSWORTH MEMORIAL LIBRARY
6064 SOUTH MAIN STREET, PO BOX 69
SANDY CREEK, NEW YORK 13145
Date: January 19, 2018, 6:00 p.m.
Kind of Meeting: Regular Meeting
Board Members Present: Kevin Allard, Rachel Allen, Ashley Haskins, James Horth, Charles Worden
Others Present: Jessica Godfrey
CALL TO ORDER/ROLL CALL
President James Horth called the meeting to order at 6:02 pm. The Board was joined by newly appointed member, Kevin Allard, who will be filling the position vacated by Brandy Snyder-VanRy.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Motion to approve agenda by Kevin Allard, seconded by Rachel Allen; approved.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion to approve the minutes from the December 18, 2017 by Charles Worden, seconded by Ashley Haskins; approved.
● Director’s Report
○ See attached report.
○ Kevin will work with Jessica on the Strategic Plan Committee to update our Plan of Service that is updated every 5 years.
○ Jessica shared the APAML Yearly Statistics Report 2017 with the Board. Please see attached report for details.
○ The Assistants are requesting a new, additional DVD storage case as space is very limited in the current storage case.
● Finance Report
○ See attached report
○ Motion to pay unscheduled bills in additional to regularly scheduled bills by Ashley Haskins, seconded by Kevin Allard; approved.
○ Motion to transfer $433.86 from Operating Account into the Director’s Account by Ashley Haskins, seconded by Charles Worden; approved.
● Fundraising Committee Report
○ Ashley reported that the fundraising committee has met and created a calendar of fundraising events for 2018.
○ Please see attached document for the fundraising schedule.
PERIOD FOR PUBLIC EXPRESSION
None at this time.
CORRESPONDENCE AND COMMUNICATION
● Rachel will be writing thank you notes for three recent donations noted in the Director’s Report.
● Outstanding Actionable Items - The Action Plan was examined and tasks are being completed. Rachel will take over managing this list for future meetings.
● Summit Electric/National Grid- The contract with Summit Electric expires this year. Ashley recommends that the library drop this contract. Motion to cancel contract with Summit Electric/Summit Family Energy and go with energy provided through National Grid by Ashley Haskins, seconded by Charles Worden; approved.
● Credit Card Policy/Committee- Ashley shared that the library does not need to go through Pathfinder Bank for a credit card, as Pathfinder uses a third party. The Board will need to draft a policy for how the credit card will be used, who will use the card, etc. Ashley will begin looking for credit cards options that will be beneficial for our purposes. Charles and Ashley will start to look at sample credit card policies that can be presented at next meeting.
● Conference/Workshop Approval- Motion to approve Sherry Webb’s attendance at the "Strengthening Young Families through Early Literacy Practices" workshop to take place at North Country Library System on February 20, 2018 by Ashley Haskins, seconded by Kevin Allard; approved.
● Board Officers
○ President James Horth opened the floor for nominations. Nominations were closed. Nominations for Officers are as follows: President - James Horth, Vice- President - Charles Worden, Treasurer - Ashley Haskins, Secretary - Rachel Allen
○ Motion for the Secretary cast one ballot for entire slate of officers by Kevin Allard, seconded by Rachel Allen; approved.
○ Secretary cast ballot and Officers for 2018 are as follows: President - James Horth, Vice-President - Charles Worden, Treasurer - Ashley Haskins and Secretary- Rachel Allen
● Senator Ritchie Capital Project- James received a form to be completed for the Capital Project from Senator Ritchie’s office. A committee will be formed once funds have been secured.
● Sandy Creek Town Funding
○ Ashley shared that the last check from the Town of Sandy Creek was written in an amount different from usual amounts. After looking at past deposits, she determined that full funding was received for 2017.
○ The Board discussed requesting an annual or semi-annual accounting report from the Town for withheld building maintenance funds for library improvement projects.
○ Board has decided to not pursue a funding increase through the school ballot this spring due to several reasons including the capital improvement project being pursued by the school district.
NEXT MEETING DATE
The next regular meeting for the Board of Trustees is scheduled for Monday, February 5, 2018 at 6:00 pm. This meeting will take place at the library.
Motion to adjourn at 7:33 pm by Charles Worden, seconded by Kevin Allard; approved.
Rachel F. Allen
** All motions unanimously carried unless otherwise noted.**