MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
ANNIE PORTER AINSWORTH MEMORIAL LIBRARY
6064 SOUTH MAIN STREET, PO BOX 69
SANDY CREEK, NEW YORK 13145
Date: November 12, 2018 11:00 a.m.
Kind of Meeting: Regular Meeting
Board Members Present: Rachel Allen, Ashley Haskins, James Horth, Charles Worden
Others Present: Jessica Godfrey
CALL TO ORDER/ROLL CALL
President James Horth called the meeting to order at 11:06 am.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Motion to approve agenda with the addition of the Town Board Budget Discussion by Charles Worden, seconded by Ashley Haskins; approved.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion to approve the minutes from the October 15, 2018 meeting by Kevin Allard, seconded by Ashley Haskins; approved.
● Director’s Report
○ See attached report.
○ STAT Communication changed the system battery on October 19, 2018. The bill for this replacement was sent to the Town for payment. The Board will be contacting the Town to determine whether if future expenses from STAT (ex: yearly service bill) will be covered by the Town or library budget.
● Finance Report
○ See attached report
○ Motion to pay unscheduled bills as listed in the Treasurer’s report in addition to the regularly scheduled bills by Kevin Allard, seconded by Charles Worden; approved.
PERIOD FOR PUBLIC EXPRESSION
None at this time.
CORRESPONDENCE & COMMUNICATION
● Dissolution language documents have been re-signed and sent again to the State.
● Thank you notes will be written and sent to the following individuals:
○ Senator Ritchie for the New York State Senate Empire Award
○ $250 donation from the Friendship Thrift Shop to purchase Battle of the Books books
○ Donation of four Battle of the Books books from Jackie Gregg
● Outstanding Actionable Items- Reviewed item list.
● Capital Project - Kevin has paperwork for Jim to sign. Need to send a letter on official letterhead.
● Sexual Harassment Policy/Complaint Form & Training- The Board has been asked to review the sample Sexual Harassment Policies provided by Onondaga Employee Leasing Services (OELS) before the December meeting to determine which will be modified and adopted for our library. Other avenues for training will be explored. The first round of training needs to be completed by October 2019.
● Town Budget Discussion- At the October Sandy Creek Town Board meeting, Kevin presented the 2019 library budget and explained the deficit that exists due to rising costs. Kevin also shared that the Library will be going on the school ballot in the spring of 2019 to increase our sustainable funds. The Town Board has agreed to provide an extra $20,000 for the 2019 calendar year only. Due to this change in funds, the Library Board will be re-examining the 2019 budget categories and make adjustments as needed. Final approval of the 2019 budget will be done at the December meeting.
● Conference/Meeting Approval- Motion to approve the mileage reimbursement for Jessica Godfrey when she attends the Joint Automation Board (JAB) Meeting on November 28, 2018 at the North Country Library System (NCLS) by Kevin Allard, seconded by Charles Worden; approved.
● School Ballot Discussion- The library will begin the process of getting on the school ballot vote. In December a letter will be sent to the Sandy Creek School District notifying them of this decision and the amount being requested. This amount will need to be discussed and voted on at the December Board of Trustees meeting. Jessica has been asked to begin gathering numbers: ballot amounts of other libraries in Oswego County, the number of programs provided by the library and number of attendees at these programs, hours of operation, and previous budget promises and what has been spent in these areas. A presentation for to the community will be given in March and a mailing will be sent in April.
NEXT MEETING DATE
The next regular meeting for the Board of Trustees is scheduled for Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 5:30 pm. This meeting will take place at the library.
● The Board entered into executive session at 11:57 am. Jessica Godfrey was invited to stay for the session.
● Jessica Godfrey left the executive session at 12:08 pm.
● The Board came out of executive session at 12:21 pm.
Motion to adjourn at 12:21 pm by Kevin Allard, seconded by Charles Worden; approved.
Rachel F. Allen
** All motions unanimously carried unless otherwise noted.**